We follow the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) which has seven areas of learning:
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development – how to manage our feelings, behaviour and get on with others.
- Communication and Language – listening, speaking and understanding language.
- Physical Development – keeping ourselves healthy and developing our large and small movements.
- Literacy – enjoying and sharing books and mark making.
- Mathematics – counting and recognising some numbers and using and talking about shapes.
- The World – looking at and talking about where we live
- Expressive Arts and Design – exploring painting, gluing, model making and music.
We learn through play as this is the best way for young children to learn, grow and have fun. Singing songs, reading together, playing games and having fun with friends helps them to learn. Children in nursery learn by playing and exploring and being active which happens indoors and outside.
The children are encouraged to be as independent as possible. This begins with personal care – toileting, hand washing and putting on coats and shoes. They also lead their own learning by selecting where they would like to play and which equipment they would like to use. Adults support this learning by demonstrating new skills and supporting children to have a go and try things for themselves. The children also have lots of opportunities to visit the local area, including local shops, the woods and the farm.
The children’s learning doesn’t stop when they leave Nursery and we work in partnership with parents and carers so that it can continue at home. We regularly send home library books to read and share home learning ideas with parents each week on the parent information board. Parents can share their children’s successes by adding comments to the ‘superstar board’ and the ‘ask me about stickers’ share children’s learning in school with parents. We also hold monthly Parents Sessions where parents and children work together to make, bake and share their personal learning and expertise.
In Nursery, we have two daily three hour sessions:
Mrs Bonser – Yellow Team
Mrs Wilson (am) – Red Team
Miss Smith (pm) – Red Team
Mrs Robinson-Burke (pm) – Blue Team
Miss Saunders (am) – Blue Team
Miss Turner – Nursery Apprentice
Mrs FadlElseed – Arabic bi-lingual support